V2.20.1-beta - syslog error: deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier" and database locked

I get following error in syslog: deCONZ[2619]: “No carrier”

Raspberry Pi 3b

Raspbian Bullseye

deCONZ v2.20.1-beta

Raspberry shutsdown randomly and this is last syslog entry.

Feb 27 11:19:15 raspberrypi deCONZ-WIFI2.sh[19059]: Error: database is locked
Feb 27 11:19:15 raspberrypi deCONZ-WIFI2.sh[19060]: Error: database is locked
Feb 27 11:19:24 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:19:34 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:19:44 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:19:54 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:20:04 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:20:14 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:20:24 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:20:34 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:20:44 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:20:54 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:21:04 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:21:14 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:21:24 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:21:34 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:21:44 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:21:54 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:22:04 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:22:14 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:22:24 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:22:34 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:22:44 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:22:54 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:23:04 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:23:14 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:23:24 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"
Feb 27 11:23:34 raspberrypi deCONZ[2619]: "No carrier"

Any advice to solve this?

WIth this kind of error from deCONZ-WIFI2.sh I guess that you use Phoscon Gateway as an WiFi access point ?

to be honest, I dont know. Not using Phoscon as Wifi gateway.

I setup Grafana an Prometheus in order to get some metrics. I see that ‘Memory Page Faults’ are constantly going up and at one point the Pi just turns off.

Here the Pi turned off around 22:15.

Here the Pi turned off around 06:15.

I disabled deconz-gui and Memory Page Faults dropped immediately…

sudo systemctl disable deconz-gui

So any idea what is causing “No carrier” error message?

I’m a bit surprised that just “disabling” the service will immediatly drop anything because AFAIK disabling a service doesn’t stop on it until you explictly do with sudo systemctl stop deconz-gui or reboot.

Regarding this error I guess that it’s related to the previous database locked trouble, and then relatied to a communication trouble with WifI access point.

If you don’t use it I suggest you to deactivate this option : Phoscon App.

If it’s still present after a reboot you can stil try to disable disable it sudo systemctl disable deconz-wifi (Deconz-wifi service usefulness with Conbee II - #6 by Marbaf)

you are right, I also stoped the service. It is reproduceable, as I had to start service again in order to turn off a zigbee switch. Memory Page Faults started to grow again, until I stoped the service again.

Do you have the same behavior if you stop deconz-gui but start deconz (the non-gui part) instead ?

just did a test.

Disabled deconz-wifi, deconz and deconz-gui.
Reboot Pi. No Change. Memory Page Faults low but stable.

sudo systemctl start deconz
Memory Page Faults start increasing immediately

Did a reboot at 16:51 and Memory Page Faults go back to low rate.

Something is wrong with deconz…

@de_employees can you check ?

Minor page faults

Minor page faults, also called soft faults, occur when the memory page is shared by multiple programs, among which some have already brought the page to main memory. A minor page fault is a type of exception that occurs when the operating system encounters an error in memory that can be caused by either hardware or software errors.

The most common cause of minor page faults is a bad sector on the disk, which causes the operating system to stop reading data from the hard drive, starting over again. A secondary cause could be a corrupted file, but it is more likely due to a bug in the program.

We would have to invastigate first if deCONZ has some kind of bug that causes high memory leak. I would suggest that 1GB RAM is kind of low for the newer deCONZ versions. Is that a Raspberry Pi 1 that you are using? Changing the SD card could be a solution or perhaps it helps disabling some other unused applications. For deCONZ you could safely disable the deconz-wifi.service and make sure that only 1 deconz service is running (deconz.service or deconz-gui.service).

I am using Conbee2 Stick now for quite some time, with no issues on Pi 3b with SSD and no SD, as stated above. Pi is setup for 24/7 operations.

Problems started 2-3 weeks ago.

Where does error message ‘No carrier’ result from?

It is from WIFI service. I think it was from hostapd or wpa_supplicant that causes this message.
You can disable WIFI in the phoscon app under settings or manually stop these services
systemctl stop hostapd, systemctl disable hostapd and systesmctl stop wpa_supplicant, systemctl disable wpa_supplicant, pkill wpa_supplicant.
These services are for creating or connecting to a WIFI Accesspoint and not needed if you don’t use WIFI.

thx, Pi is not using wifi. Connected via ethernet LAN.

just did:

sudo systemctl stop hostapd
sudo systemctl disable hostapd
sudo systemctl stop wpa_supplicant
sudo systemctl disable wpa_supplicant

sudo pkill wpa_supplicant

msg: Failed to stop hostapd.service: Unit hostapd.service not loaded.

Then hostapd was already deactivated. I think the messages then came from wpa_supplicant.

just did another test.

sudo systemctl enable deconz
sudo systemctl start deconz

result see graph

And is deconz-gui.service also running?

no only deconz

another finding is that stop and disable does not fix it. only a reboot is bring it back to normal state.

I think the page faults are pretty normal and has nothing to do with the Raspberry Pi shutting down. On my raspberry pi applications like chromuim produce serveral 100k page faults without any problems for the raspberry pi.

Shutdowns are mostly due to a too weak power supply.
Have you changed some hardware on your pi recently? Or installed any other software?

another finding is that stop and disable does not fix it. only a reboot is bring it back to normal state.

That would indicate that deCONZ is not the cause for the high page fault rate.

I used the top command to see wich applications produce how many page faults.
here is a good description on how to use the command: cyberciti.biz
I can add a screenshot on how many page faults other programms produce on my RPI without any problems.

As I said, I don’t think this is the reason for the shutdowns. I would suggest you could check the following things:

• stop deconz, deconz-gui, and deconz-wifi services and see if the the shutdown still occurs
  • downgrade deconz to an older version
  • check currently changed hardware and software (if you have installed the SSD recently then the powersupply of our RPI is probably not sufficent anymore)
  • If you have an spare SD Card download our phoscon image from phoscon.de and test if the shutdowns still occurs

will check. at least ‘no carrier’ message each 10 sec is gone. this should also be better handled/fixed