Unable to pair Hue Go with conbee III

Hi,

I’ve recently purchased a conbee III with the intention to replace my hue bridge, which currently controls my hue go and also be able to control some IKEA bulbs.

I tried two setups with the conbee III USB-stick which are:

Raspberry-PI 4

Raspberry-PI 4 with deconz in a docker container. The USB-device is passed through as shown in the docker-compose below

version: "3"
services:
  deconz:
    image: deconzcommunity/deconz:stable
    container_name: deconz
    restart: always
    privileged: true
    ports:
      - 80:80
    volumes:
      - data:/opt/deCONZ
    devices:
      - /dev/ttyUSB0
    environment:
      - TZ=Europe/Berlin
      - DECONZ_WEB_PORT=80
      - DECONZ_WS_PORT=443
      - DEBUG_INFO=1
      - DEBUG_APS=0
      - DEBUG_ZCL=0
      - DEBUG_ZDP=0
      - DEBUG_OTA=0
      - DEBUG_HTTP=0
      - DECONZ_DEVICE=/dev/ttyUSB0
      - DECONZ_START_VERBOSE=0

volumes:
  data:

Home-Assistant

I have a Home Assistant with the deconz-addon. My HA instance runs in a Virtual Machine on my proxmox server. I have passed through the USB-Device using USB device/vendor-id

IMG_20231207_225835

When i try to add my Hue Go via the Phoscon Web-UI it does not find anything. I deleted the Hue Go from the bridge using the Hue App.
I have tried to do the following things to make the Hue Go “visible”

• Switch off and on, during the search process
  • Press and hold the back button for 10s until it blinks blue (not sure what this does)
  • Press and hold the back button for 20s until it blinks red (also not sure what this does)
  • press and hold the power button on my hue dimmer switch next to the Hue Go
  • I tried all of those actions with and without the power supply attached
  • I tried all the above with both my setups (Raspberry and Homeassistant)
  • i plugged the conbee into a USB extender cord (similar to this).
  • I placed the lamp quite close to the conbee (~1m)

I have to note, that both setups are quite close to either a router or a repeater - both providing a 2.4Ghz wifi access point

I have searched this forum, github but couldn’t find a hint on how to get the lamp going with the conbee.
In a few days i’ll receive some IKEA tradfri lamps. Hopefully i’ll be able to verify one of my setups with these.

small update.

I have checked the docker logs and i see the following messages, which i find confusing:

14:31:03:254 dev /dev/ttyAMA0
14:31:03:254 COM: /dev/ttyUSB0 / serialno: , ConBee
14:31:04:142 Skip idle timer callback, too early: elapsed 882 msec
14:31:07:142 try to reconnect to network try=6
14:31:12:142 try to reconnect to network try=7
14:31:14:269 dev /dev/ttyAMA0

As it seems, the phoscon container tries to access the USB-Stick on /dev/ttyAMA0. But i have mapped /dev/ttyUSB0 and also provided that as environment variable.

Maybe it is the same problem:

I had a little bit of success with my Raspberry-PI setup.

After reading a bit more in the docker repo docs of the community container i found this important information for conbee-3 user. It basically says, that you have to provide an environment variable for the baud-rate, which should be 115200.

DECONZ_BAUDRATE=115200

Afterwards i also applied the tweaks for the RasBee Hardware , which basically tells you to disable everything on the serial port using raspi-config and doing a reboot.

Then i checked if i was using the correct devices by doing …

ls -al /dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2251419-if00

which was linked on my Raspi to /dev/ttyUSB0. So i verified that in my docker-compose.yml.

In addition to that i also changed the user and group of the /dev/ttyUSB0 device to root:docker with

sudo chown root:docker /dev/ttyUSB0

Afterwards i restarted the whole raspi again. After logging into the phoscon-web UI i was able to see the Firmware in the Gateway panel, which i think was previously unknown. Furthermore, in the advanced settings i could see, the currenlty used channel 11, wich was previously 0. I changed the channel to 15, as i thought i might have some interference with my router, but with that setting i couldn’t pair my Hue Go.

Meanwhile, my first IKEA tradfri bulb was delivered. After i resetted the bulb (by switching it on and off 6 times) i was able to pair the bulb with my Raspberry-PI and Conbee3 setup!

So, that basically means that my setup somehow is working. Still i don’t know how to pair my Hue Go??

Any hints would be appreciated.

PS: Meanwhile i found the manual of the Hue Go online. Holding the button for 10s switches on some sort of battery-saving mode (which is confirmed by the lamp with blue blinking). Holding the button for 20s disables any battery saving features on the Hue Go (which is confirmed by red blinking of the lamp).

Success!!

I was able to pair my Hue Go. Apparently the lamp must be connected to a power supply, so the pairing works properly. In addition to that, you need to have a compatible remote. In my case it was the hue dimmer switch v2.

Summary for the Raspberry PI setup

• Added environment variable for baud rate to docker-compose.yml
  • Identified the device and updated the docker-compose.yml
  • Changed permissions of /dev/ttyUSB0 to root:docker
  • Disabled all serial applications on the Raspberry PI using raspi-config

Summary for pairing the Hue Go

• Delete the lamp in the Hue Bridge
  • Connect the lamp to the power supply
  • Start the search in the phoscon web-app
  • Hold the Hue dimmer switch next to the lamp and press and hold the outer buttons for 10s. The lamp will confirm the factory reset by blinking in a bright white color

Did i forget something? Ah yes, if you intend to integrate your deconz setup with homeassistant, you need to open the websocket port on your setup. By default it’s 443, but as you might use this port for other purposes, you need to reconfigure it. In my case i set it to something arbitairy like 50000. For this to work in a docker environment you need to also publish the port. So my resulting docker-compose.yml looks like this

version: "3"
services:
  deconz:
    image: deconzcommunity/deconz:stable
    container_name: deconz
    restart: always
    privileged: true
    ports:
      - 50080:80
      - 50000:50000 # the same port must be opened for the docker container
    volumes:
      - data:/opt/deCONZ
    devices:
        - /dev/ttyUSB0
    environment:
      - TZ=Europe/Berlin
      - DECONZ_WEB_PORT=80
      - DECONZ_WS_PORT=443
      - DEBUG_INFO=1
      - DEBUG_APS=0
      - DEBUG_ZCL=0
      - DEBUG_ZDP=0
      - DEBUG_OTA=0
      - DEBUG_HTTP=0
      - DECONZ_DEVICE=/dev/ttyUSB0
      - DECONZ_START_VERBOSE=0
      - DECONZ_BAUDRATE=115200
      - DECONZ_WS_PORT=50000 # this is required so deconz can communicate the correct port via HTTP
volumes:
  data:

Comming up next → the setup with Homematic :slight_smile: