Router gave new IP to host, devices are not controllable anymore

Hi there,

I’m running Deconz/Phoscon on a Raspberry Zero. Everything worked like a charme unless my router gave a new IP to the Raspberry.

When accessing Phoscon via the new IP, on first sight everything looks and behaves normal, but:
when trying to change any state of my devices (e.g. switching on a light), Phoscon acts as if the light was switched on, but in fact it wasn’t. Funnily enough, also the state in Phoscon shows that the light is on (even though it is not). I can turn it off, the state in Phoscon changes back to “off”, but nothing is happening to the light.

I’m quite sure it has something to do with the IP-change of the Raspberry. When I have a look at phoscon.de/discover, it also can find the Raspberry with the correct IP.

I’m absolutely clueless, does anyone has any idea which could explain this behaviour?
Thanks a lot for your help!

Hi,

I would suggest setting a static IP Address. You can follow this guide for that:

if you need further help, you can just reply to this thread

Best Regards
Eric

Hi Eric,

thanks for the hint. I won’t do a darn thing and make the router change the IP again. I’m using Wireguard to VPN to my home network, though. I’m not sure if that’s actually possible with the solution you linked above since my FritzBox seems to overrule everything when it comes to Wireguard-connections.

But do you have any idea what I can do to “rescue” my phoscon on the Raspberry?

Thanks a lot for your help!

If you are using a FritzBox you can set a permanent DHCP IP via the Web-GUI. The Wireguard VPN should not cause any issues.

I’m assuming you speak German, so heres a helpful article for that:

If you lost the ip of your pi you can use something like “Angry IP Scanner” to find it in your network.

yeah, it’s a bit odd, for regular network connections it is possible to assign always the same IP to the device. It’s not possible for VPN connections, though. Maybe I will contact AVM in this regard.

I know the IP of my raspberry and I can also connect to Phoscon. It all seems to work fine only that somehow the deconz/phoscon-“commands” doesn’t seem to make it to my zigbee-devices.

oh now i get it. The devices you are accessing the gateway with gets a new IP?

ehm, nope :slight_smile:

let’s be more specific: the Raspberry (with deconz/phoscon installed) got the IP 192.168.178.205 assigned, so I just had to type on any device in my homenetwork the IP 192.168.178.205 in the browser and then I was able to access the Phoscon UI. Since the raspberry is in my motorhome outside of my home-network, it uses Wireguard to access via VPN my home network.

Now, for some network issues (thanks a lot, bloody f***g Congstar) I had to setup a new Wireguard-connection and my router gave this raspberry a new IP: 192.168.178.201. If I now access this IP, I see the Phoscon UI again and everything seems to work. However, the zigbee-devices do not seem to receive the commands from phoscon/deconz.

can you ping 192.168.178.205 ? I could be, that you are seeing a locally cached Version of the WebUI

I was wondering that, too. However, I used browsers in private mode and I installed a completely new browser in order to rule it out that a cache is behind the problem. The ping turned out not to be successful.

Well this sound more like a network problem then … I still don’t quite get your network situation… could you maybe provide me with a drawing ?

Okay I got some news:

a) I contacted AVM: keeping a static IP for a device is actually the default for Wireguard. The Wireguard-client gets a conf-file where the IP is defined. Thus, if the wireguard-connection is not changed, the device will always get the same IP from the router. So nothing to do at this front

b) I made it work that the Raspberry Zero gets its old IP back (just by creating several Wireguard-connection in the Fritzbox until I finally got the one with the right IP). However, Phoscon/Deconz still couldn’t change the physical/real state of the Zigbee-devices but believed it did.

c) I resetted the Gateway: no success.

d) I deinstalled and installed Deconz/Phoscon: no success. I additionally found out that I couldn’t pair any new devices anymore.

e) I formatted the SD card and installed a fresh Raspbian, installed a fresh Deconz and so on: now I can pair devices again and can change their physical state :slight_smile:

I guess its too unclear what was going on, but I think the IP had nothing to do with the problems after all.

Can you share deconz logs?

I guess this topic can be closed as I have completely flushed everything and have a new (working) instance now. I remember I checked the DEBUG mode (at least INFO, INFO_L2, ERORR; ERROR_L2) and couldn’t find anything suspicious. But thanks a lot for your help!

1 Like