Problem pairing a Hue bulp

I am trying to pair a new Philips Hue bulb with Conbee II, but without success. I follow this procedure from Help Topics: How to reset a Philips Hue light to factory settings?
(Also applies to most lights from other manufacturers)
The simplest method is to reset it using the Philips Hue Dimmer Switch remote control.

1. Start search for lights in the Phoscon App
  2. Turn the Philips Hue light off/on once (I assume you mean power off/on?)
  3. Hold the remote control close to the light and press and hold the I and O buttons for about 10 seconds until the light illuminates. (the bulb is already illuminated, but it blinks 3 times)
  4. The light should now be paired within 1 minute by the Phoscon App
    The bulb is newer found by the Phoscon app (I have retried this 6 times). Any idea what I am doing wrong? Anything else I can try?

Hi @gongevangen

If you are unsure about if the steps are done properly, you may try first resetting the light and then performing a power cycle and adding it in the phoscon app

Hue bulbs can’t be reset with this method. You need to reset them with touchlink or by first adding them to the Hue hub and removing them from there.

1 Like

Can you elaborate on this? Don’t I use touch link in step 3 “Hold the remote control close to the light and press and hold the I and O buttons for about 10 seconds until the light illuminates”. How does it work with the hue hub? Do I just add the bulb and then remove it and then it is reset?

If you have an Amazon Alexa smart speaker with a built-in Zigbee hub, such as the Echo Show 10 or Echo 4th Generation, you can reset your bulb using that. First, you’ll need the serial numbers of your light or lights. Then make sure your bulb is plugged in and turned on.

Open the Alexa app and tap Devices, then tap the ‘+’ icon and select Add device. Tap the question mark and then select the link under How do I put my Zigbee device into pairing mode? Scroll down and select Reset Philips Hue Light. Enter the serial number of your light and hit Continue. Alexa will reset the Hue bulb and then will Discover it and connect it to your Zigbee hub.

Or just use a Hue Bridge and reset them over the App. The light must be paired with the Bridge.

The easiest way is to use a Philips Dimm Switch like this: Switches | Philips Hue
Just press the highest and the lowest switch for 10 seconds near the bulb and it will do a reset.

I don’t have an Alexa.

I have a Hue bridge and have tried to pair the bulb with it and it works fine. I cannot see a reset option in the App. I tried deleting the bulb from det App assuming that is what you are meaning, but still Phoscon cannot find the bulb.

I have tried many times resetting the bulb with the Philips remote as you describe. The bulb clearly resets, but still Phoscon cannot find the bulb.

This is really driving me craisy. Everything else works without problems.

Hm, simple question: is your philips bulb really a zigbee bulb?
You can proof that by the marks on the lamp itself or on the packaging.

Otherwise please tag me the correct bulb per link please.

Isn’t all Philips Hue Zigbee? I have attached a photo of the markings.

It is a Philips Hue Outdoor Wall Light Lucca.

Seems to be a zigbee bulp.

Either way, can you provide some logs while pairing? Maybe we get some pointers with that :slight_smile:

Option 1: To get debug logs in a GUI installation, open deCONZ and click Help . After that, click Debug View . The following debug levels need to be enabled for proper logging: INFO , INFO_L2 , ERROR , ERROR_L2 , APS , APS_L2 .

Option 2: To get debug logs in a headless installation / ssh session, use the following commands:

sudo systemctl stop deconz-gui
      sudo systemctl stop deconz
      /usr/bin/deCONZ -platform minimal --dbg-aps=2 --dbg-info=2 --dbg-error=2 | tee debug.txt

When done, exit the process with CTRL+C . You can now start the systemctl service again. Your logs will be printed in the console, as well as saved to a file named debug.txt in the current directory. Be sure to capture at least a few minutes worth of logs. When sharing these logs, DO NOT attempt to paste them into a channel. Instead use a pastebin service such as this or this. When done, don’t forget to disable logging. This is especially important when running off an SD card, as the debug logging will cause unnessecary writes, and might shorten the life of your media.

Please post the logs in pastebin.

How do I disable logging again?

Do the steps other way around?

I don’t understand what you mean with do the steps the other way around? I will try to use Option 2 - don’t I then have to run deCONZ with some other parameters?

How do you use deconz normally?

I am sorry, but originally I just installed Phoscon on a RPI4 and I never had to use any Linux commands to work with I, so I don’t have a good understanding of these commands.

Anyway I tried to do as you described and then rebooted the rpi, I assume the logging is then stoped.

The log file is uploaded here: debian Pastezone After starting logging I rest the Hue Bulb using touch link and searched for lights from the Phoscon app. After It had searched for 3 minuts I stopped logging.

I also noted an error message when stopping/starting deconz:
The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of deconz.service changed on disk. Run ‘systemctl daemon-reload’ to reload units.

Ah right. That makes sense.

Reboot should indeed stop it.
The logs you posted are only 2 seconds worth of logs. Are you able to post the full 3 minutes?

The log won’t fit in 1 file so I split it in 3:
https://paste.debian.net/1211820/

https://paste.debian.net/1211821/

I am not allow to paste the last link so here is a image of it:

@de_employees Anyone able to look along?

Not sure what happened, but the system went apesh*t on you:

My appologies!

@gongevangen
A couple of questions about your Hue Bridge:

• is it an old (round) or new (square) version?
  • where you able to bind devices on the Hue Bridge before?
  • same question for our Gateway
  • was the bulb on when you delete it in the Hue App?
  • did the bulb starting to flash after deleting?