deCONZ / Phoscon don't work anymore

Hi,

I’ve been using the Conbee II stick on a Raspberry Pi 4 for months now - so far without any problems. Since last weekend, however, there have been increased connection failures when using Phoscon, i. This means that the browser suddenly shows that the connection to Phoscon can no longer be established. You are suddenly and abruptly logged out and the start page for logging in is displayed again.

Similarly, the Android HUE Essentials can only access the network etc. very sporadically - the message often appears that the bridge cannot be reached.

What have I already done?

• A backup (Phoscon) imported from a month ago → same problem
  • A complete backup of the Raspberrypi from a month ago → same problem
  • Changed the SD card and reset it with the same backup mentioned above → same problem

Do you have any ideas? Is the Conbee II stick defective? Where can I find log files if necessary? In the aforementioned problems, the Raspberry Pi including the other services can be reached normally; I therefore rule out a physical connection problem.

Best regards

Michael

If it’s from troubes with USB connections to your stick you could may be find some trace of USB connect/disconnect via dmesg -T | grep USB or dmesg -T | grep tty
If is a power issue may be could you get some trace via dmesg -T | grep voltage

Hi Michael,

• do you use an extension for the ConBee II?
  • did you changed the chanel?
  • do you use an LAN cabel or WLAN?

You can read out errors via the Debug View in deCONZ. Under the menu (above) click on “Help”, then on “Debug View”. First select the items “Info”, “Error” and “Error L2” and copy the result into your answer.

That’s exactly the point. When I call up the deCONZ GUI (via sudo -E deCONZ), it is displayed and I can connect to the stick. The graphic with the connections builds up and after about 20 seconds deCONZ ends hard. The message “Invalid machine command” then appears on the terminal. In this respect I am not able to analyze the log output. So is there a way to redirect the log to a file? And if yes, how?

By the way: I have already done a new installation of deCONZ.

In fact, I’m not using any deconz extension and the Pi is connected via LAN.

Best regards

Michael

Some more questions:

• What Raspbian OS version do you use (stretch, bullseye, …)?
  • How did you install deCONZ? (apt or downloaded installer manually?)
  • which deCONZ version do you have installed right now?
  • what is the output of f these commands:
    systemctl status deconz
    systemctl status deconz-gui

Hi,

here the answers:

Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Via apt

Version 2.20.1

deconz.service - deCONZ: ZigBee gateway -- REST API
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/deconz.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: signal) since Tue 2023-03-21 19:11:43 CET; 26s ago
  Process: 10678 ExecStart=/usr/bin/deCONZ -platform minimal --http-port=80 --dev=/dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2652729-if00 (code=killed, signal=ILL)
 Main PID: 10678 (code=killed, signal=ILL)

● deconz.service - deCONZ: ZigBee gateway -- REST API
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/deconz.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Tue 2023-03-21 19:28:08 CET; 2s ago
 Main PID: 24645 (deCONZ)
    Tasks: 3 (limit: 4915)
   CGroup: /system.slice/deconz.service
           └─24645 /usr/bin/deCONZ -platform minimal --http-port=80 --dev=/dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2652729-if00

Mär 21 19:28:08 Pi4 systemd[1]: Started deCONZ: ZigBee gateway -- REST API.
Mär 21 19:28:08 Pi4 deCONZ[24645]: QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-pi'
Mär 21 19:28:08 Pi4 deCONZ[24645]: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
Mär 21 19:28:10 Pi4 deCONZ[24645]: This plugin does not support propagateSizeHints()
Mär 21 19:28:10 Pi4 deCONZ[24645]: This plugin does not support propagateSizeHints()

● deconz-gui.service - deCONZ: ZigBee gateway -- GUI/REST API
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/deconz-gui.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Mär 20 20:13:13 Pi4 systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/deconz-gui.service:10: Unknown lvalue 'StartLimitIntervalSec' in section 'Service', ignoring
Mär 20 20:13:13 Pi4 systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/deconz-gui.service:10: Unknown lvalue 'StartLimitIntervalSec' in section 'Service', ignoring
Mär 20 20:13:23 Pi4 systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/deconz-gui.service:10: Unknown lvalue 'StartLimitIntervalSec' in section 'Service', ignoring
Mär 21 19:14:35 Pi4 systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/deconz-gui.service:10: Unknown lvalue 'StartLimitIntervalSec' in section 'Service', ignoring

Kind regards

Michael

You want to use deCONZ with GUI, right?

So i would disable the non-gui service with:

sudo systemctl stop deconz
sudo systemctl disable deconz

And to start deCONZ with GUI either use the service
sudo systemctl start deconz-gui
or use the start menu entry on the desktop

and enable autostart on boot:
sudo systemctl enable deconz-gui

Hello!

No, basically I don’t want to use the GUI. The Raspberry Pi should (continue to) only be used as a server (“headless”). The problem is that deconz crashes after a short time (about 30 seconds) after start. This affects both the service deconz and the GUI variant. This behavior has only been occurring for a short time. Until then, the application had been running for months without any problems. There were also no changes in the ZigBee network. Only general system updates were done, although resetting to an old system status still leads to the error. So my guess is that some device within the ZigBee network is triggering the error and causing the software to crash.

Do you have thermostats in your network? e.g. from aqara?

In the meantime, my further analysis has shown that the IKEA roller blinds could possibly be causing the problems. If I delete these, the software will not crash. On the other hand, there have been no problems with the blinds for months. How can this be checked?

Addendum: It’s not the fault of the roller blinds from IKEA. The system crashes anyway. Is there really no useful debugging?

The following devices are on the network (except for the IKEA [FYRTUR] blinds):

Manufactor Type
IKEA of Sweden TRÅDFRI Zwischenstecker
IKEA of Sweden TRADFRI bulb E14 W op/ch 400lm
Philips LLC010
LIDL Livarno Lux 14148906L
dresden elektronik FLS-PP lp
LIDL Silvercrest HG06337
LIDL Livarno Lux 14148906L
MLI ZBT-ColorTemperature
Signify Netherlands B.V. LLC010
LIDL Silvercrest HG06337
IKEA of Sweden TRADFRI bulb E27 WW 806lm
Phoscon Virtueller Sensor
eWeLink Multisensor
_TZ3000_fllyghyj Multisensor
IKEA of Sweden Bewegungsmelder
IKEA of Sweden TRÅDFRI Fernbedienung
Signify Netherlands B.V. Dimmschalter
IKEA of Sweden TRÅDFRI an/aus Taster

After countless tests, crashes etc. I have now found out that the problem is obviously with a specific Philips IRIS lamp. As soon as I integrate these into the network, the entire system crashes reproducibly. In order to rule out that there is a technical defect with exactly this lamp (although even this should probably not lead to the system crashing…), I bought another lamp. And the same problem occurs here too. How can you now make a meaningful debug here so that the problem is finally solved?

Thanks for updating this post, please continue.
Really no clue how to debug, just started with zigbee.