Some user questions regarding device groups and the action method BIND

Hi folks,

I asked the same question in the “Genral” section, but this may be the better place. So, here we go.

I am using deCONZ for a while but only with the Phoscon frontend so far. Now I am trying to get deeper into the REST API for some advanced stuff, that seems to be impossible with Phoscon (e.g. conditions). However, I lack some knowledge regarding Zigbee and or deCONZ and I hope someone can help me.

MY first question is regarding groups. There are groups that are create by a device. What are they needed for and can I utilize them?

The second question is regarding rules. In the example the method “BIND” is used for the action. What does it do?

Regards

Those “special” group can be created by some switches or remotes for exemple, all devices added in this group will work with “broadcast” request, and can work even if the coordinator is out.
If I remember this feature was disabled in phoscon (thoses groups are not visibles), but you still can use it in the old web app.

Yes, in Phoscon they are not visible but in the REST API. Does this mean, that the membership of this groups or the group itself is manged by the device instead of deCONZ?

I guess this group is used for example if you buy a HUE lamp that comes with a “paired” remote control?

Does this mean, that the membership of this groups or the group itself is manged by the device instead of deCONZ?

Yes, deconz have a look on it, you can see member in the API for exemple, but you can turn off deconz, it will still working.

I guess this group is used for example if you buy a HUE lamp that comes with a “paired” remote control?

Yes it s the working mode when there is no coordinator.

Thx for the information! Can I delete this groups or will they be created again? And if I can delete them, how can I recreate them in case I need them?

Good question ^^. I don’t think delete them is a good idea because they are some “setting” that use this group. (For exemple to redirect the native broadcast of some remote)
You can just keep them and ignore them, else they are created during the inclusion, so in the worse situation just re-include the remote.