New deCONZ GUI: windows control / DWM issues

Somewhere between deCONZ v2.25.3 and v2.28.1 the desktop window manager has been replaced.

Now the GUI doesn’t offer any possibility to close unneeded windows (using a huge amount of visible space) like originally mentioned e. g. here:

Closing this grey “basic VNC control window” using [ALT] + [SHIFT] + [C] as mentioned here is working great. Even it’s not intuitive and not written anywhere in the UI, so more like a “magic hack”.

But how to e. g. close the DDF editor (left part of the window)?

In general, the horizontal alignment of windows is kind of an issue while the vertical alignment from the past years was working great, being switchable by the window name at the top - quite intuitive, no need to actually close windows.

By the way: trying to use [ALT] + [SHIFT] + [C] in the DDF editor situation for example is not a good idea, as it is possible (e. g. when the mouse focus is on the right main part of the screen) it closes the whole deCONZ gui (like it does when it is the last window opened), resulting in a fully black screen and the need to wait some time until it obviously automatically reloads - again with the default look (containing the “basic VNC control window”).

1) How to close the DDF editor?
2) Can we set the new DWMs default to align windows vertically again to work around these new GUI issues?

It’s a really strange thing, I’m not sure why the window title bars sometimes are above the visible screen, if it’s Qt or the Window Manager, this wasn’t a problem in the past but the code for the window handling also wasn’t changed :thinking:

As workaround I’ll add a File → Close menu entry.

1 Like

That‘s a good idea. If possible for the grey window, too.

Can you reference a PR so we can watch when it arrives in a new (stable) release?

In general the window positioning needs a rework I think. Effectively working e. g. with the DDF editor with only 50 % of the screen is even on a 4K screen a bit challenging.

Aside from the pr, can we also have an issue on GitHub instead of here?

I am wondering if this is due to a rare combo or the HA web vnc cliënt and the windowmanager.

The PR is up https://github.com/dresden-elektronik/deconz-rest-plugin/pull/7910

I am wondering if this is due to a rare combo or the HA web vnc cliënt and the windowmanager.

Not sure, I’ve sometimes also seen strange window placements on Raspberry Pi OS on the main window.

Well, using [ALT] + [SHIFT] + [C] now - another day, another endpoint using deCONZ - closed the DDF editor - but the remaining (main) window did not resize. I’m now stuck with this:

Can’t really work that way anymore. If the GUI “close window” does the same it will likely not solve this “no resize” issue.

In panic mode I applied the keystroke again, now the main window is also gone. Full black screen, zero control anymore:

Reloading the page gives:

After quite some while reloading the page once again makes the VNC appear again - everything set to default…

…AND: it seems like the whole addon gets restarted. I see things like these in the addon log:

[22:45:50] INFO: Successfully send discovery information to Home Assistant.
22:45:24:238 COM: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_XXXXXXXXXX-if00 / serialno: XXXXXXXXXX, ConBee II

And also because of the addon restart all information in HA is updated (unavailable entities and wrong entity last changed states etc.). So it creates quite some issues beside the fact the deCONZ UI is hardly usable.

So: kicking most of my smart home out of order for a few minutes only because of a - let’s agree to call it ‘broken/unusable DWM’ - is not that funny.

I fear this whole DWM thing needs much more attention than adding a bit of UI cosmetics.

As another user said over at Upgrade deConz to v2.28.1 by jannickfahlbusch · Pull Request #3708 · home-assistant/addons · GitHub recently:

May I suggest to finally switch to a PROPER window manager that can be used with the mouse like virtually EVERY other window manager out there since the invention of the mouse instead of forcing one of these exotic experimental incomplete unusable toy window manager experiments onto all the innocent users?

I must admit since today I feel what he says.

I’m on holiday so responses are slow.

That kinda is messed up indeed.

@manup is this deconz window manager or the addon /vnc window manager?

If it is the latter, I am wondering if our docker version is affected as wel.

A new addon restart, a new screwed up welcome screen. Now I need to remember the magic keyboard shortcut and pray everything works out…

/friendly reminder

Seriously: What’s the status? :slight_smile:

@manup @de_employees reminder…