Custom cluster - sending a string

Hello all,

I’m working on adding an ESP32-C6 with a cluster that will support sending strings back & forth. I see there’s a method of adding a custom XML to the ZCLDB. Has anyone any success in adding such a device & how one should do it?

I thought the best was to do it was implement something like a custom client cluster (0xff00) for a Home Automation Custom Client Device but like to hear from anyone that has done this.

Many thanks!

Yes, I have done that lot of time, for new custer generaly.
You can use an external XML, but on my side I just edit the orignal one > deconz-rest-plugin/general.xml at master · dresden-elektronik/deconz-rest-plugin · GitHub

What is your OS ? Can be more complex on docker.

Here you have a sample for the cluster 0xfc0f

<!-- OSRAM -->
    <cluster id="0xfc0f" name="OSRAM specific" mfcode="0xbbaa">
      <description>OSRAM manufacturer-specific cluster to set power-on defaults.</description>
      <server>
        <command id="0x01" dir="recv" name="Store Power-On Defaults" required="o"></command>
      </server>
      <client>
      </client>
    </cluster>

Wich one string type it’is ?

<!-- String -->
    <!-- oN, defined in first N octets -->
    <datatype id="0x41" name="Octed string" shortname="ostring" length="o1" inval="0xff" ad="D"></datatype>
    <datatype id="0x42" name="Character string" shortname="cstring" length="o1" inval="0xff" ad="D"></datatype>
    <datatype id="0x43" name="Long octed string" shortname="lostring" length="o2" inval="0xffff" ad="D"></datatype>
    <datatype id="0x44" name="Long character string" shortname="lcstring" length="o2" inval="0xffff" ad="D"></datatype>

@Smanar Many thanks, sounds good. I was going to use the character string. It was in particular for the Tunneling cluster, 0x0704.